Purpose of the job:
To render secretarial support service to a senior manager (s)Key responsibilities:
Provide a secretarial /receptionist support service to the manager:
Renders administrative support services:
- Receives telephone calls in an environment where, in addition to the calls for the senior manager, discretion is required to decide to whom the call should be forwarded. In the process of the job incumbent should finalize some inquiries.
- Performs advanced typing work.
- Operates and ensures that office equipment, e.g. fax machines and photocopiers are in good working order.
- Records the engagements of senior manager.
- Utilize discretion to decide whether to accept/decline or refer to other employees requests for meetings, based on the assessed importance and urgency of the matter.
- Coordinates with and sensitizes /advises the manager regarding engagements.
- Compiles realistic schedules of appointments.
Provides support to manager regarding meetings:
- Ensures the effective flow of information and documents to and from the office of the manager.
- Ensure the safe keeping of all documentation in the office of the manager in line with relevant legislation and policies.
- Obtains inputs, collates and compiles reports e.g. progress reports, monthly reports, management reports
- Scrutinize routine submissions / reports and make notes and /or recommendations for the manager.
- Responds to enquiries received from internal and external stakeholders.
- Drafts documents as required.
- Collects, analyzes, and collates information requested by the manager.
- Clarifies instructions and notes on behalf of the manager.
- Ensures that travel arrangements are well coordinated.
- Prioritizes issues in the office of the manager.
- Manages the leave register and telephone accounts for the unit.
- Handles the procurement of standard items like stationary, refreshments etc. for the activities of the manager and the unit
- Obtains the necessary signatures on documents like procurement advices and monthly salary reports.
Supports the manager with the administration of the manager's budget:
- Scrutinizes documents to determine actions/information/other documents required for meetings
- Collects and compiles all necessary documents for the manager to inform him/her on the contents.
- Records minutes/decisions and communicate to relevant role players, follow -up on progress made.
- Prepares briefing notes for the manager as required
- Coordinates logistical arrangements for meetings when required.
Studies the relevant Public Service and departmental prescripts/policies and other documents and ensure that the application thereof is understood properly.
- Collects and coordinates all the documents that relate to the manager's budget.
- Assists manager in determining funding requirements for purposes of the MTEF submissions.
- Keeps record of expenditure commitments, monitors expenditure and alerts manager of possible over-and under spending.
- Checks and correlates BAS reports to ensure that expenditure is allocated correctly.
- Identifies the need to move funds between items, consults with the manager and compiles drafts memos for this purpose.
- Compares the MTEF allocation with the requested budget and informs the manager of changes.
- Remains up to date with regard to the prescripts/policies and procedures applicable to his/her work terrain to ensure efficient and effective support to the manager.
- Remains abreast with the procedures and processes that apply in the office of the manager.
- Secretarial Diploma or equivalent qualification
- 3-5 years experience in rendering a support service to senior management
- Language skills and ability to communicate well with people at different levels and different backgrounds.
- Good telephone etiquette.
- Computer literacy
- Sound organizational skills
- Good people skills
- High level of reliability
- Written communication skills
- Ability to act with tact and discretion
- Ability to do research and analyze documents and situations
- Good grooming and presentation
- Self-management and motivation
- Knowledge on the relevant legislation/policies/prescripts and procedures
- Basic knowledge on financial administration
Applicants who meet the above requirements, can forward CVS to