The successful candidate will take responsibility to perform skilled supervisory work in directing the work of subordinate artisans such as coded welders, assistants involved in the following: welding (All codes); pipe insulation; repair and metal machining, Structural repairs, weld specification application to repairs, job costing and quotations, labour scheduling and planning.
This individual will also be responsible for assigning tasks among subordinates and personally participating in the more difficult tasks. Work assignments are received in the form of instructions, sometimes accompanied by drawings or broken parts. An employee of this class has full responsibility for deciding work methods and other technical matters. Prepares cost estimates and estimates of labour and material. Work is performed under general direction of an administrative superior and is reviewed during and at the completion of projects.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Plans, assigns, schedules, and supervises the work of skilled and trades helper subordinates on pump repairs, machine work, welding, cutting, brazing, steam fitting, and pipe insulation repair and installation projects.
- Lays out and supervises the cutting and fitting of material in preparation for welding.
- Maintains and makes repairs to welding equipment.
- Prepares cost estimates of labour and material; orders supplies, material, and equipment.
- Prepares routine work and time reports and maintains standard records.
- Recruits and trains subordinate personnel; establishes safety and work performance standards.
- Performs related work as required.
Education and Experience:
- High school Grade 12
- Coded welder in most if not all codes and applications.
- 5 years of related experience including supervisory or lead experience and considerable experience as an artisan coded welder or any equivalent combination of training and experience.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Thorough knowledge of the standard tools, equipment, materials, methods, and practices of the trades commensurate to assigned duties.
- Thorough knowledge and understanding in the application of all welding applications i.e. vertical
- Thorough understanding of welding application types such as MIG, TIG, FLUX core
- Must be able to read and apply welding specifications.
- Experience in basic rigging and lifting applications to turn and position components under repair safely
- Thorough knowledge of the occupational hazards and safety precautions of the welding, high pressure fitting, and insulation trades.
- Considerable knowledge of the properties of ferrous and non-ferrous metals encountered in welding tasks.
- Ability to supervise the work of subordinate artisans and helpers.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with personnel of other departments.
- Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions and to work from sketches, diagrams, blueprints, and broken parts.
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely orally and in writing.
- Skill in the use and care of tools and equipment used on work assignments.
- Communication will only be with shortlisted candidates
- Checks and References will only be done at interview stage
- Jino Swart Talent Acquisition Executive ((email address))